Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Starting A Profitable Home-Based Business

For anyone that has ever tried to jump into a business from home or internet marketing, like me you will probably find yourself adrift in a sea of information. There are 1000's of lifeboats, but one never knows which is the real one, and which is the one coated in the slime of a snake-oil salesman.

I have always been very business-minded, and able to motivate myself to work alone and from home. For some reason, I have always done this for others and created their success. I think that this might be because of my need to feel like I am of service to others. Perhaps it is because of the unconscious mindset given to us as children that when you grow up, to ensure your success you should "get a good job."

Certainly the world has changed and diversified, and with the advent of computers, drop-shipping and opening the market to the world, global commerce has shrunk to the size of the nearest laptop. The need for a job is no longer as applicable as the need to produce income in a way that fulfills our needs and lifestyle.

Although not much older, there is a different mindset in people in their 20's where a "job" is a chore, not something to be attained. It became clearer and clearer that a job is securing the way to live paycheck to paycheck, yet if one is creative, driven and allows the support of a mentor or coach, the sky is the limit.

On a whim, I went to Unseminar5 hosted by Pat O'Bryan and Joe Vitale on the last weekend of July 2008. I could sing the praises of both Pat and Joe from here to eternity, but I will ask you to look them up and let their ventures speak for themselves. What was notable to me was the number of young, talented people at the seminar. And just how young some of the most successful people are. I was also amazed at the quality of the people: positive, forward-thinking, incredibly intelligent and innovative.

Since Unseminar5, I have attended a number of internet marketing seminars (let's face it - if you are opening any business, it can benefit from marketing on the web). I was unfazed by all there was to know - I figured that if anyone can figure this out, I can. I was wholly unprepared for the challenges involved, and the sheer depth and breadth of both basic and technical knowledge that one needs in order to start. I found that the people teaching are so advanced that they have forgotten what it is like to know absolutely nothing. And I regrettably found that a lot of the "gurus" are either self-proclaimed or willing to give just enough advice to get you to the first step, but not enough to send you to the bank (unless its to pay for a new product).

When people first begin in wanting to open a home-based business, I have noticed that they behave more like consumers than entrepreneurs. They are willing to buy each and every product, read every tip, report and bit of advice, pay for courses, seminars, tele-seminars and e-courses... Yet they are so busy studying, they are not doing. Beware of doing this - one can get split across so many ideas that you lose focus.

Pick a branch. Pick a niche. Pick a business idea. And start moving with it. I recommend a coach and and accountability partner. Whatever you do, stick with it to the end - to success or failure.

I am extraordinarily grateful that I have some Internet Marketing legends like Ross Goldberg, Robin & Lee Collins, Eric Farewell, Simon Leung offering me help and guidance.

My success with business start-up and sales-closing combined with my blunders in the internet marketing world will help you in preventing making the same mistakes that I have made, and guide you to success. Through my trials (and errors), I will help you to avoid the pitfalls and the cons of the home-based business industry.

Charlie Berger is a leading Home Business Expert and Expert Author. Has been personally responsible for teaching many how to leave the 9 to 5 grind to enjoy the financial and time freedom you always hear about but few can show you how to achieve. See what Charlie is up to now at: http://charlesberger.webprosperity.com

No comments: